Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 11:41
ZimTrade, the national trade development and promotion organisation is a unique joint venture partnership between the private sector and the Government of Zimbabwe.
To build a nation of exporters, self sufficient in foreign currency with a positive trade balance.
To assist businesses in Zimbabwe to develop and expand into profitable international trade in products and services.
- Responsibility and Empowerment
- Stakeholder Focus
- Gender Sensitivity
- Success Attitude
Spearheads the development and promotion of exports in the following sectors:
- Building and Construction Materials
- Wood products and furniture
- Processed foods
- Agricultural equipment and inputs
- Textiles and Clothing
ZimTrade has adopted a sector approach with the aim of developing specific sectors for the export market.
- Obtain overall information about sectors including structure, characteristics, major players, and products and document it.
- Maintain close contact with sector in order to anticipate challenges and proactively respond
- Carry out sector needs analysis and design and implement out sector developmental programmes
- Organise sector specific export marketing training programmes
- Compile and maintain an up-to-date database of companies in the sector
- Identify new players in the specific sectors
- Develop and distribute sector brochures.
- Determine the export capacity of the Zimbabwean enterprises and export suitability of selected products and services
- Compile information on the structure, characteristics and products of the identified sectors or products
- Identify development needs and craft relevant programmes
- Identify exporter training needs
- Provide export-marketing skills to enterprises targeting new companies, the youth and women entrepreneurs
- Organise training workshops in different centres
- Disseminate topical, up to date trade information to the business community.
- Information includes: product inquiries, tenders, trade agreements, forthcoming trade events
- Match make business inquiries with Zimbabwean suppliers
- Follow up inquiries with companies
- Identify export market opportunities
- Carry out desk research on selected products and markets.
- Carry out field research on selected products and market
- Disseminate research findings to relevant sectors/companies
- Prepare and publish report on research findings
- Carry out any identified follow up activities
- Plan and undertake/lead trade missions to other countries to promote export related investment and the marketing of Zimbabwe products and services
- Select participants according to set criteria.
- Arrange appointments with prospective buyers in the host country
- Arrange for publicity, venue hire, appointments etc.
- Follow up to ascertain the business generated from the mission are undertaken
- For inward buyer missions a suitable group of buyers is identified and an itinerary of appointments and business meetings is organised.
Trade Fairs And Exhibitions
- Coordinate and facilitate the participation of Zimbabwean companies at identified external trade promotion events
- Participants are selected according to set criteria that include quotas for SMEs and women entrepreneurs
- Organise for stand hire, construction, equipment hire, and publicity
- Match-make fair participants with potential business partners
- Follow up on inquiries and business generated
Trade Consultancy And Advisory Services
- Provide export marketing guidance to new and potential exporters
- Give market intelligence to companies including analysis and interpretation of data and information
- Respond to client inquiries on specific trade issues
Communication and Public Relations
Manages outside communications of the organisation to create and maintain a positive image. It also communicates with stakeholders on all ZimTrade activities.
The department maintains the good image of the organisation so that it sparks an interest among stakeholders, generate brand equity and facilitate programme buy in from exporters and potential exporters including service providers.
Information Resources /Library
The department collects and disseminates trade information to support the business community. Exporters and potential exporters may also visit the library for export consultations.
The library contains the following sources of trade information:
- Regional and overseas trade directories
- Market studies
- Country profiles
- Trade journals
Trade Policy Research and Analysis
Trade Policy Research and Analysis monitors trends in the policy environment and recommend actions that can enhance competitiveness in the export sector. The information encompasses views from exporters and the relevant business associations, and is communicated to the relevant authorities. The trade information is disseminated to the public through workshops, bulletins and publications, including guides to assist the exporter.
The following publications are used to disseminate trade information:
- Weekly Bulletin
- New Exporters Guide
- Guide to Zimbabwe Trade Agreements
- Guide to Developing an Export Marketing Plan
- Guide to Importing
- Guide to Export Market Research
Export Marketing Training Programme (covering ten modules)
ZimTrade through the Export Marketing Training Programme (EMTP) assists new exporting companies, including small to medium enterprises (SMES) to enter export markets. The training is also open to individuals and large companies. This support is in the form of transfer of technical skills, reinforced by intensive practical training and exposure to regional markets. The training is conducted by experts with hands-on export experience.
Objectives of Training
The following are the programme objectives;
- to develop an export culture among Zimbabweans including small to medium enterprises (SMEs)
- to increase exports through increasing export base
- to develop export marketing skills among Zimbabweans
The following are the area covered by the training:
- Export Business Plan
- Export Financial Planning and Sources of Finance
- Export Costing, Pricing and Terms of Payment
- Export Documentation Inco-Terms and Trade Agreements
- Export Market Research
- Export Promotional Strategies and Development of Promotional Material
- Export Negotiation Skills and Closing Techniques
- Export Product Development and Packaging Design
- Total Quality Concepts
- Good Housekeeping
ZimTrade operates a Regional Office situated in Bulawayo that services the provinces of Bulawayo, Midlands, Matebeleland North and South. The office mirrors activities that are carried out by Head Office.
ZimTrade is a unique joint venture partnership between the Government of Zimbabwe and the private sector. The Minister of Industry and International Trade appoints five Board members including the Chairman. Four are voted from the private sector at an Annual General Meeting.
904 Premium Close
Mount Pleasant Business Park
P.O. Box 2738
Tel. 263 4 369330
Fax 263 4 369244
E-mail: infor [at] zimtrade.co.zw
Web address: www.zimtrade.co.zw
ZimTrade Regional Office
48 Josiah Tongogara Street
P.O. Box 3090
Tel 263 9 66151, 62378
Fax 263 9 62397
e-mail: infobyo [at] zimtrade.co.zw