Zimbabwe Institute of Engineers
Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 12:01
WHAT IS ZIE?
- Multi-disciplinary Institution covering all aspects of engineering in Zimbabwe.
- Operations and membership are regulated by an Act of Parliament but the Institution is a private body made up of its members.
- Learned Society similar in many ways to other Professional Associations in the country and elsewhere
- To set and maintain appropriate standards of engineering competence.
- To promote the advancement of Engineering and facilitate the transfer and dissemination of engineering knowledge.
- To raise the character and status of the profession and promote public awareness and confidence in Engineering.
- To ensure correct standards of professional conduct and ethics are adhered to.
ZIE CORPORATE MANDATE
- Monitor Engineering education, training and manpower activities and needs of the country.
- Act in an advisory capacity to Government, Industry and Educational Institutions.
- Offer career guidance to Schools, Polytechnics and Universities.
- Sponsor/Administer technical conferences, workshops, local meetings, courses and lectures within Zimbabwe.
RULES OF CONDUCT
- Rule 1. A Member of the Institution, in the course of his employment and in pursuance of his profession, shall have due regard for the public interest.
- Rule 2. A Member of the Institution shall act for his employer or his client as a faithful agent and trustee and shall discharge his duties with integrity.
- Rule 3. A Member of the Institution shall not act in any manner derogatory to the honour, dignity, integrity or reputation of the profession.
- Rule 4. A Member of the Institution shall not falsely, maliciously or recklessly injure or attempt to injure whether directly or indirectly the professional reputation of another Engineer or Technician.
ZIE MEMBERSHIP GRADES
- Honorary Fellow
Any person whom the Institution desires to honour for his/her distinguished and exceptional work in connection with engineering or important services to the Institution.
Progressive grade-when a member has attained a superior position of responsibility.
Holder of a University Degree and a minimum of 3 years responsible experience in her field of engineering.
- Associate Member
Persons who qualify for the grade of Technician and who have at least 9 years responsible Technician experience, of which 5 years in a position of superior responsibility.
Holder of a minimum educational qualification of a Zimbabwe National Diploma or equivalent who has gained at least 2 years relevant experience post qualification.
- Graduate Member
University Graduate who has not yet gained the necessary practical training and experience. Graduates are also expected to apply for transfer to the Grade of Member after the period of experience indicated.
- Graduate Technician
Qualified Technician who has not yet gained the required practical experience.
Person undertaking a course of study which will eventually qualify them for some other grade of membership are entitled to join the Institution as a Student.
Students are transferred to Graduate Member or Graduate Technician when the Institution obtains proof of their qualification.
- Affiliate Organisation
Any organization which, by its connection with engineering, science or otherwise and acting for the advancement of engineering.
Any person whom the Institution wishes to honour for his/her service to the Engineering profession may be made a Companion of the Institution.
ORGANISATION OF THE INSTITUTION
President, Deputy President, Senior Vice President, Vice President, Honorary Treasurer, Immediate Past President, Corporate Councillors, Non Corporate Councillors, Graduate Councillors, Division Chairpersons, Areas Chairpersons, National University of Science & Technology, University of Zimbabwe, Scientific and Industrial Research & development Centre, Chief Executive Officer –ex officio and Secretary to the Board.
256 Samora Machel Avenue East,
Phone: +263 4 746821 /746816;
Fax: +263 4 746652;
Email: zie [at] zarnet.ac.zw
Executive Committee (ExCom)
Learned Society and Membership Services Committees
Education and Qualifications Committees
Finance and Staff Committee
Education Training & Manpower Committee
Act & Regulations Committee
Corporate Planning Committee
Public Relation Committee
United Kingdom (UK)
Africa Engineers Forum (AEF)
World Federation of Engineering Organisations (WFEO)
Commonwealth Engineers Council (CEC)
World Council of Civil Engineers (WCCE)
African Engineering Education Association (AEEA)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Close links with many other Engineering Institutions worldwide.
SERVICES TO MEMBERS-CURRENT AND FUTURE
Monthly journal 'The Zimbabwe Engineer'.
Opportunities to network with leaders in your field of specialisation.
Invitations to regular meetings and site visits arranged by your area committee.
Access to publications / and specialised materials through ZIE offices.
Right to add letters after your name indicating your membership to ZIE.
Training courses to help you in your continuing professional development (CPD).
Facilitation of employment and consulting opportunities.
Opportunities to broaden your horizons by taking up voluntary participation in leadership and management opportunities within the ZIE structure.
WHAT DOES ZIE REQUIRE FROM YOU?
Active participation and contributions through committees.
Your interest and involvement in your Institution is our best asset and together we can build a strong Engineering profession for the good of the whole Nation.