Industry: Non Profit( NGO / Inter-Governmental)
Employment Type: Permanent
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Sub Regional Coordinator for Southern Africa(SFS)/FAO Representative in Zimbabwe and the direct supervision of the Sub-regional Forestry Officer SFS ,the incumbent will provide leadership, technical support and coordinate outputs, activities and inputs for the FAO-EU project "FORESTS FORCES - Forests Sustainably Managed for Communities, Environment and Shocks Resilience".
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Coordinate, monitor and manage technical and financial inputs to the project activities implemented by FAO and its implementing partners.
- Collaborate with team leaders from partner organizations, technical backstopping officers, international and national consultants, private sector, NGOs, and government officials to plan and implement outputs and activities of the project.
- Prepare contracts with partners for implementation of project components, monitor implementation of the contract and ensure coordination and complementarily of the activities implemented by FAO and its implementing partners.
- Cooperate with FAO Procurement officer for timely procurement of equipment and materials for the project implementation.
- Prepare detailed annual plans and monitoring reports containing overall project progress and achievements in the pilot areas.
- Establish and develop collaboration with other international and national programmes, stakeholders/partners to ensure synergies, to avoid duplications of effort, and to identify needs and opportunities to promote development of methods and tools for policy processes and sustainable forest management practices for the benefit of the local communities and the conservation of the environment.
- Promote and coordinate the dissemination of information and results achieved by the project.
- Prepare terms of reference for and identify and select project staff/consultants.
- Monitor and evaluate project performance; keep supervisors and donor informed about the project developments and make recommendations for upgrading the project as per emerging needs.
- Assist in the evaluation of the project and external audit of partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Candidates should meet the following:
- Degree in Forestry, Environmental sciences or a related field.
- Minimum of ten years of relevant experience in management position in the forestry sector of Zimbabwe, including coordination, planning and communication.
- Working knowledge of English and at least one of the main local languages used in Zimbabwe.
candidates will be assessed against:
- Extent of experience in the forestry sector of Zimbabwe.
- Extent of experience in policy formulation, planted forests management, forest fire and pest management and forestry extension and training.
- Extent and knowledge of FAO programme/ projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member and work effectively with networks and partner organizations.
- Extent of capacity building/training skills and communication skills.
- Level of language skills.
- Quality of both oral and written communication skills in English.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday, 21st November 2013. Applications received after the closing date will be disregarded.
FAO is a member of the United Nations and does not charge any fees in the recruitment process. FAO is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Applications, CVs and certified copies of certificates clearly marked "Project Coordinator" should be submitted to:
The FAO Recruitment Office
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Block 1 Tendeseka Office Park
Cnr Samora Machel Avenue/Renfrew Rd Eastlea
P O Box 3730
by Email to: SFS-ZW-Recruitment[at]fao.org
Please Register to apply online.