|Jobs at Universities|
UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE
Applications are invited from suitable qualified candidates to fill the following position which has become vacant at the University of Zimbabwe:
1. DEAN, FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
Duties and Powers of the Dean of a Faculty are as follows:-
The Dean plays a pivotal role in the University's senior management structure, providing overall leadership and management functions to the Faculty which include administration and management of the Faculty's finances. The Dean will also be responsible for all Faculty planning and control in specific areas of human resources, budgeting, academic programmes, departmental equipment and other faculty matters.
The Dean should:
- Have an earned doctorate
- Be a scholar of note with credibility among his/her academic peers.
- Offer academic leadership.
- Be innovative.
- Be able to plan effectively and to inspire and motivate staff in the Faculty.
- Have a strategic vision for his/her Faculty and for the role of the Faculty in the institution.Have a strategic vision for his/her Faculty and for the role of the Faculty in the institution.
- Have proven management skills.
The Dean will be responsible to the Vice Chancellor
In addition, the Dean will also be responsible for:-
- Developing a sense of community for the Faculty's students, academic and support staff regardless of gender, race and religion.
- Providing support for University-wide initiatives.
- Developing collaboration and strategic partnerships with Faculty alumni, institutions, corporations, foundations, and government agencies.
- Developing and/or increasing collaboration between the Faculty's departments, and between the Faculty and other Faculties in ways that enrich the training programmes offered by the Faculty.
- Undertaking fundraising to support current academic programmes, new developments and research projects in the Faculty.
- Marketing the Faculty undergraduate and post graduate programmes, and non-degree and certificate programmes to commerce and industry, government agencies, and the general public throughout Zimbabwe and the world.
- Contributing to the evolution and maintenance of a comprehensive and conducive learning environment at the University by facilitating research and technical assistance activities and partnerships with other Faculties, public agencies and private sector firms.
- Engaging in outreach activities by involving the community, organizing summer schools, offering short courses, etc.
Conditions of Service
- This is a full-time contract appointment, for a period of up to four years and subject to renewal on satisfactory performance.
- The Dean shall be paid an attractive package commensurate with responsibilites and paid at a rate determined from time to time by the University Council. Full Details of the package will be made available to shortlisted candidates.
Applicants must submit six copies of applications, IDs and CVs, giving full particulars including full names, place and date of birth and six copies of academic and professional qualifications for each set of application. Applicants must give information on experience, present salary, and date of availability, telephone number, names and addresses of three referees.
Applications should be addressed to and either hand-delivered or posted to:
Email: uz [at] zimbabwehumancapital.org
Senior Assistant Registrar
(Senior Non-Academic Staff and Short - Term Appointments)
University of Zimbabwe
P.O. Box MP167
Our Website: http://www.uz.ac.zw
Closing date of receipt is Friday, 5 September, 2014.
Please not that only short listed candidates will be contacted.