|Jobs at Universities|
UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE
Applications are invited from suitable qualified candidates to fill the following position which has become vacant at the University of Zimbabwe:
1. STUDENT AFFAIRS DIVISION
1.1 DEPUTY DEAN OF STUDENTS
Desired Qualifications and Descriptions of Position
This is a very senior position in Student Affairs Division which requires a highly motivated, dynamic and mature person holding at least a Master's degree in Humanities, Social Sciences or Education. Administrative experience and experience in working with young adults in an educational environment is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring an environment conducive to learning is promoted and maintained on campus.
- Promoting initiatives and programs that enhance the students' learning experience on campus.
- Promoting and co-ordinating programmes and activities that strengthen Faculty Associations, clubs and societies on campus in liaison with the Student Executive Council
- Creating leadership training and development opportunities for student leaders and mobilise resources to implement such programs.
- Providing appropriate support in matters related to student governance.
- To serve as the communication conduit between students, banks and other University Departments on issues related to student loans.
- Assisting the Dean in developing and implementing an effective Orientation Week Programme.
- Be responsible for the efficient implementation of the student part-time and graduate employment schemes
- Organizing the Annual Employment Exhibition Day of the students to meet with prospective employers.
- Assisting the Dean in carrying out research on issues related to students welfare and student governance and in the foundation of informed and effective short and long term intervention strategies.
- Responsible to the Dean of Students.
1.2. CO-ORDINATOR (COUNSELING AND ADVISORY SERVICES) (1 Post)
2.1 IT MANAGER
Desired qualifications and description of position
- This is a senior post requiring a highly qualified person in the area of counseling and to give leadership in the provision of high quality counseling services to the student population. Applicants must have a BSc Honors degree in Psychology and a relevant Masters degree from a recognized and reputable institution. Applicants must also be registered Psychologists with a current practicing certificate with the Health Professions Council of Zimbabwe. Experience in the provision of counseling services to young adults in an educational environment will be an added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing the Department of Counselling and Advisory Services and to give leadership in ensuring the provision of high quality, user friendly, counseling and advisory services;
- counseling or students with academic, personal, family, social, psychological and other problems; co-ordinate and promote provision of high quality counseling services by various sections of the University;
- Training of Faculty Counselors, Wardens and Peer Educators in basic counseling skills; assessing counseling needs through surveys and group discussions with a view to improving existing counseling services;
- Develop awareness programmes that ensure that all students are aware of their rights, freedoms and responsibilities;
- Establishing a helpline for students in distress, developing orientation programmes, schools liaison programmes and careers exhibition programmes in liaison with the Deputy Dean of Students.
Applicants must submit six copies of applications, IDs and CVs, giving full particulars including full names, place and date of birth and six copies of academic and professional qualifications for each set of application. Applicants must give information on experience, present salary, and date of availability, telephone number, names and addresses of three referees.
Applications should be addressed to and either hand-delivered or posted to:
Email: uz [at] zimbabwehumancapital.org
Senior Assistant Registrar
(Senior Non-Academic Staff and Short - Term Appointments)
University of Zimbabwe
P.O. Box MP167
Our Website: http://www.uz.ac.zw
Closing date of receipt is 4 July, 2014.
Please not that only short listed candidates will be contacted.