Diaspora Students Initiative
Last Updated on Wednesday, 16 September 2015 08:05
Call for curricula: CFCV2015/04
Consultancy: Laboratory Technician x 2
Duration: 3 months
Duty station: Plumtree/Beitbridge
IOM in partnership with Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) seeks to employ
Laboratory Technician to be based in Beitbridge and Plumtree Reception and Support Centres.
The position will be under the TB REACH project. The interventions under this project proposal
are expected to contribute towards increased access to early TB case detection, rapid diagnosis
and improved treatment outcomes among irregular Zimbabwean migrants returned from South
Africa and Botswana and communities of origin with whom they interact. Matebeleland South
Province through systematic TB screening, by strengthening existing Government TB services in
Matebeleland South Province, Zimbabwe. This project will target returnees coming through the
Reception and Support Centres (RSCs) in Beitbridge (BBRSC) and Plumtree (PRSC) as well as
the highest migrant sending province of Matebeleland South.
• Perform TB Microscopy according to the national guidelines and Standard Operations
Procedures (SOPs) to provide data for use in treatment and diagnosis of disease.
• Prepares stains, reagents, media and solutions necessary for the performance of all laboratory
• Perform Expert MTB/Rif testing according to national guidelines and SOPs.
• Perform HIV rapid testing according to national guidelines and SOPs.
• Adhere strictly to biosafety measures during specimen collection, laboratory procedures,
disposing of, storing and delivery of specimens as per national guidelines and SOPs.
• Compile monthly laboratory statistics for quarterly laboratory reports within seven (7)
days after the end of each quarter to the IOM, DMO, and TB Data Analyst at National
TB Reference Laboratories.
• Prepare and submit stock orders in time, keep stock records and monitor consumption
Implement effective stock control and management measures in accordance with national
• Ensure and maintain high quality of performed laboratory tests
• Keep laboratory registration neat and proper with clear handwriting
• Keep laboratory records on Electronic TB Reporting Register
• Manage internal Quality Assurance System in the laboratory for performed examinations
• Participate in training/refresher trainings
• Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor
Consultant must possess the following qualifications and experience:
• BSc. Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology with valid license to work as Laboratory
Technician in Zimbabwe.
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in laboratory/medical institution required.
• Phlebotomy experience required, and should be conversant in biological specimen
collection, storing, packing and transporting
• Experience in HIV testing desirable.
• Experience in Tuberculosis laboratory testing and sputum sample collection procedure
• Must have a hands-on experience with the use of Gene Expert machines equipment used
within the service to enable appropriate application of equipment and interpretation of
• Knowledge of public health laboratory laws and regulations; sanitary bacteriology
• Knowledge and ability to use the Electronic TB Reporting Register.
Full Terms of reference for the consultancy can be obtained from bkanengoni[at]iom.int
Method of application:
Interested candidates are required to submit a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae marked“Procurement & Logistic Assistant - Intern” to the IOM office: Box 2570, Harare or hand deliver at IOM Harare, 4 Duthie Road, Alexandra Park, Harare, or iom [at] zimbabwehumancapital.org.
Deadline for applications:23 September 2015